Sunday 18 March 2007

Triangular Response

The movement Triangular Response, is now finished. I really struggled to find the right solution to suit Jo‘s wishes.
This Window Vista on my new computer is more annoying than anything since it doesn’t recognize many of the programs and software I had been using until now. My external sound card is therefore useless - I should have listened to my intuition that told me not to bring it along. However all these little technical inconveniences created a frame within which I had to find a solution.

Triangular Response was causing Jo some teething troubles. He said the choir was so strong and brought such an emotional charged atmosphere that he couldn’t find where the physicality could fit. This movement has been quite a challenge for me. But I think it has now reached its final state. I tried to record some cymbals and the addition proved less than convincing. Then I thought of the bells I had added in the finale to counter-balance the loftiness of the soprano part. I did the same with some big drums to root the music to the ground and therefore allow some space for the dancers.
We’ll have to wait for the costume to come in order to know how all this works. For that particular scene, Miharu, the costume designer, has created a one piece costume for all the dancers - although I think the set design and the costumes were already set before I even started composing the music.
Each dancer is bonded to the other whether by the arm, the knee, the head, the shoulder…. The sight of this nine-bodied creature is quite uncomfortable.
The music already sounding like some weird, mystical ritual with the soprano, the choirs, the bells and the frantic drums, the whole scene is sure to drive the audience to the edge of uneasiness. 



After the rehearsal, Jo and Sawako took me to the hot spring. The virtues of hot volcanic spring water! I immersed myself in the outdoor pool and contemplated the starry sky. We didn’t stay too long, but were completely knackered when we went out. We still managed to find the strength to have some dessert at a very trendy café called Nelson, a architectural crossroad between 50’s Californian style and a cozy Scandinavian minimalism.
I have been having dinner and drinks with them everyday. Now that we are closer to each other, the friendship can develop beyond the limits of the professional frame.

I collapsed on the bed as soon as I got back to the my room.




No comments:

Post a Comment