Monday 18 May 2009

Art as the answer

I missed the last performance of Janacek’s opera, The Makropoulos Case. I was curious to see the way the director would stage the story. Since the play I want to write shares similar themes, it would have been interesting to see it. Alas, that was not meant to be.
Instead I was invited at the BNF (the new French National Library) for the opening of an exhibition about the lithographs and printed works of French artist Jean Michel Alberola. The man obviously has a phobia of the crowd and didn’t show up. His works do reveal this side of him, a game of riddles between words, colours and shapes, discreet, playful sensitive and slightly austere. Something between Dada, Guy Debord’s situationisme, pop art and Oulipo… I brought Ulysses along and he was very happy to see the works.
There might be a possibility to do an exhibition of Al Hansen’s work. I had talked about that with Bibbe when I was in New York a couple of years ago. At that time, I thought Simon, who knew the director of the Centre Pompidou, would be willing to introduce me to him. But he refused, saying that it was a delicate situation and that he didn’t want to give the feeling he was using his connection. Philippe, the friend who kindly invited me and Ulysses this evening, said there might be some ways if we managed to find a link between Al Hansen’s works and those in storage at the BNF. Al Hansen is virtually unknown here – although his grandson Beck, is indeed quite celebrated in France, albeit as a pop musician. Philippe’s interest rose when I told him about this big retrospective of Al’s work at the Köln State Museum and another one, entitled Playing with Matches which he did with Beck. Al Hansen is quite a maître à penser for me, though without the rules and laws. He celebrates life from all its little corners and unexpected turns. I really want more people to discover him.
Since the BNF was located near one of my favourite movie theatres in Paris, I suggest to Ulysses  to end the evening with a film, the excellent Good Morning England. Exactly what I needed in these time of mourning. Something light, entertaining, filled with joie de vivre and hope – and lots of 60’s rock music!

Michel Alberola: 'Up to date'

No comments:

Post a Comment