Saturday 7 November 2009

Journalists


The journalist from the China Times wanted to see me because a compilation CD about Liang-Yen’s stage work is about to be released. Music from Auntie will be featured even if some of the key songs will be discarded due to the flawed singing.
The interview was lively and enjoyable. Derjk Wu, the owner and co-founder of classical music mag Muzik was there as well. He also is the boss of the recording studio ArchiMusic. I boldly asked him whether he’d think it possible to co-produce the CD of Les Contes d’Hoffmann. I need to find a partner for that project, because I feel I can no longer rely on my own resources alone. Recording the music in Taipei might be a good solution. He has seen NINA. He told me he didn’t like Jo's choreography. Contrary to many, he thought the dancing and the music didn’t go together.
"The choreography was too shallow and didn’t go with the drama that the music offered", he said. Same reaction than the journalist from the New York Time two years ago… Then I had this thought that the original choreography of Swan Lake didn’t particularly match the drama and beauty of Tchaikovsky’s score… 
My father loathes journalists and I can understand him. One person's opinion is still one person's opinion. And journalists often find it hard to resist to please their ego. How many times did I learn more about the journalist's psyche than the topic he's supposed to write about! 
However Derjk showed interest in releasing the music of NINA, since the ballet is touring around the world to more and more acclaim.
Then the idea of releasing a double CD of both NINA and Tales of Hoffman occurred.
We shall see. Derjk wants to know about Noism touring schedule so to find the best time for the release.
I am learning to be more pro-active and not be afraid to ask. What can I lose anyway?

Liang-Yen shyly asked me whether the idea of writing something for his project wasn’t too appalling to me after the Auntie experience. He needed a piece for a male choir for a play he‘s working on now. A woman monologue set after the Cultural Revolution in China (one of his key theme, it seems). I immediately heard the music as he was talking to me.
I need work anyway. So I accepted, but I like the idea of writing for a male choir. The idea came to Liang-Yen when he saw me scoring the wedding mass for my brother’s wedding last year.
Things never go unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment